Just wanted to do a quick update on my healthier eating/workout journey. First, let me just say that everyone has been tremendously supportive, and I cannot thank you all enough for that. I’ve received so many “get it, girl!” texts, Facebook messages and in-person compliments that I am just beside myself. When you’re making a decision day after day to live better, you need support.
A few more things I’ve realized in the past few weeks:
- Three meals a day are no good. Before I started this, I had three meals a day. ANDDDD also a snack whenever I was hungry. We’re talking vending machine bags of chips and Pop Tarts. Then I realized (after several friends informed me) that I couldn’t keep that up. So now I plan to eat 5-6 times a day. Here’s a look at my day now: Breakfast: I have a breakfast bar as soon as I get into work; Mid-breakfast: generally a Greek yogurt; Lunch: I’m pretty boring with this, so it’s usually just a sandwich, Baked Lay’s and string cheese; Mid-afternoon: a sweet something; Dinner: this is always varied, but fish and chicken are generally my go-tos; Evening snack: sometimes I have some calories left, sometimes I don’t, so this is always flexible as well.
- Have someone check up on you. Like I said before, the encouragement is a huge thing. A friend from college offered to check in on me, and now she’s the person I text whenever I know I NEED to hit the gym, but have no desire to. I tell her a time to check in on me, then she does. It’s simple, but it works. I hate not following through, so now I do it. And she usually texts me a photo of Ryan Gosling as a reward after, so that works.
- It gets hard. I’ve had difficult days. Days I wanted to give this all up. Days I did not go to the gym. Weekends I went out of town and didn’t make the best choices with food. But you know what? I kept reminding myself of the photo I posted above. And, contrary to popular belief, you don’t need to wait until Monday or the next day or anything to get back on track. You can do it now. That’s what I force myself to do. Now. Not later. Now.
- You’ll find yourself. I KNOW. Corny. But it’s so true. For the first time in my life, I feel like I am finding how far I can go, what I’m capable of, so forth. Every time I complete a workout, that’s more than the two-months-ago Molly would have accomplished. I’m so much stronger than I gave myself credit for. For the first time in a LONG time, I feel a strong confidence coming from within me. Because I CAN do it. And I will.
- People are awesome. Like I said above, encouragement is the #1 key to me continuing down this path. And I’ve been so wonderfully surprised to find my blog posts/Facebook statuses are actually meaning something to other people, when originally they were just to keep me going/accountable. People have told me I’m an inspiration to them, which blows my mind. I am humbled. But those words just motivate me to work harder.
- I’ve lost 13 lbs. so far! So very exciting.
If any of you are also motivated to exercise/eat better, just let me know if you need me to check in on you. I’d be thrilled to pass on the encouraging words.